Organization: Bartlett & West
Title: GIS Analyst
Location: Overland Park, KS
Application Deadline: 2017-09-10
This position is located on site at KCS Winchester Data Center in Kansas City, MO. Position will develop current understanding of data state, workflows and processes and develop solutions for integration, transformation and deliverables that meet the needs of the Client and project. This may include working with internal teams and with the Client. This role requires demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and recommend or make decisions regarding the best path for data development and processing. Project work will involve process improvement, quality control, data creation from spatial and tabular sources, conversion, migration, and maintenance. Project work may involve the following analytic skills: thematic map creation, preparation of GIS data, use of analytic geoprocessing tools database creation, data modeling for manipulation and transformation.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Data conversion, migration and map production in a layered environment, including analysis support.
- Edit and create new feature classes within the map environment.
- Import and convert CAD, GPS, LiDAR or other feature data types into GIS environment
- Development and support of geographic databases.
- Develop methods and perform quality assurance/quality control on GIS and non-spatial data to meet quality goals.
- Prepare, conduct and document all requirements assessments, progress reviews and other meetings.
- Oversee the process used by GIS Technicians assigned to the project to meet project deadlines.
- Participate in the training of employees and clients, including the design and development of a training program.
- Develop and participate in ongoing client maintenance and support opportunities such as presentations and relationship-building activities.
- Provide proposal support by designing new processes to meet the proposals needs and gathering hours required to complete individual production tasks.
- Perform research into emerging GIS technologies.
- Stay abreast of new geographic information trends and technologies.
- Participate in professional organization(s) in the analyst's area of expertise or client focus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to assess spatial and non-spatial data, database models and client needs to develop data management solutions.
- Ability to reduce complex data management challenges to useful workflows, processes and methods in verbal and written communication.
- Ability to quickly learn new skills and abilities database technologies, data modeling, scripting and coding as needed.
- Knowledge of spatial and non-spatial database technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal communication skills to maintain client and employee relationships
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and make decisions
- Expanded knowledge of GIS practices and methodology
- Analytical thinker
- Detail oriented
- Customer focused (internal and external)
- Strong proficiency in MS Office and ArcGIS software
- Active listening skills
- Exhibits initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and leadership
- Possess unquestionable integrity, ethics, and the values appropriate to the company's culture; and actively models those values internally and externally
- Presentation skills
- Ability to embrace new technology and processes
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team successfully
- Ability to train, mentor and lead others
Associate's Degree or equivalent coursework from an accredited school in GIS, Geography or a related field required. Bachelor's degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Cartography or related field preferred.
3+ years' experience working with GIS. Experience using ESRI or Bentley software products. Familiarity with ArcGIS, specifically ArcMap. Strong experience in Geographic and Spatial methodologies required.
Must be able to travel in-state and out-of-state on occasion, which usually would consist of visiting the outlying locations, attending seminars or business meetings. Minimum travel is 10% of the time depending on projects.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested.
Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows.
Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability.