Organization: City of Ann Arbor
Title: Senior Applications Specialist - GIS
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA
Senior Applications Specialist - GIS
Starting Salary Range: $73,000 - $94,000
To view a full job description and to submit your application, please visit the following link: https://a2gov.applicantpro.com/jobs/611705.html
Provides consulting and support services for third party software systems and customs, in-house data exchange and integration services. Provides recommendations for business process improvements, systems analysis, system compatibility testing and software systems installations. Provides software support by maintaining, patching, upgrading and troubleshooting business applications.
Plays a lead role in client relationship and communication, enhancing relationships with business units and working in a team environment that provides continuous improvement, development, implementation, and maintenance of applications that service internal and external customers.
The Senior Applications Specialist is responsible for assisting Information Technology management in planning, organizing and conducting detailed business cases that define problems and opportunities, identify deficiencies and deliver improvements that impact the enterprise's operational efficiency and effectiveness as it relates to software and technology utilization,
Incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
Customer focused service delivery:
• Performs project management and provides assistance to internal staff for projects.
Software support and Data Analysis:
• Leads the GIS program, manages partnerships, and coordinates training for City staff.
• Administers the GIS system and servers.
• Manages strategic GIS projects and continually improves the GIS system.
• Develops and deploys innovative GIS tools and service delivery methods.
• Helps City GIS staff to adopt and adapt to new technologies and ways of using GIS.
• Geocortex system administrator and subject matter expert.
• Application selection: Conduct product analysis, cost-benefit analysis and product selection processes for application systems and assist business units with business case developments. Reviews staff recommendations regarding product selection.
• Server Application Support: Ensures installations and upgrades for client- server based applications systems and n-tiered application systems are completed and documented.
• Applications Troubleshooting: Resolves problems regarding client-server and n-tiered Applications. Supports peers with resolution of client-side production problems after problems have escalated through Help Desk.
• Resolves problems that the Service Desk is unable to solve.
• Provides data analysis, report design and development, writes stored procedures, SQL functions, scripts, triggers, and views using Microsoft SQL Server tools and Microsoft Visual Studio
Business Process Improvement:
• Ability to understand the business objectives and technology as well as underlying data required for supporting business unit needs.
• Defines and documents business processes, systems scope and objectives based on both user needs and a thorough understanding of business systems, industry requirements and regulatory compliance.
• Develops and enhances procedures to solve complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operation time, and form of desired results.
• Includes analysis of business and user needs, documentation of requirements, and translation into proper system requirement specifications.
• Considers the business implications of the application of technology to the current and future business environment.
• Working with the business units to identify data elements and write business specifications that will be used to direct system changes for the applications.
• Design, implement and support enterprise application integration (EAI) processes including database-to-database integration.
• Performs other job related tasks as assigned by the Technology and Change Manager or Information Technology Director.
• Will be on-call on a rotating basis with other staff members.
Knowledge of: (position requirements at entry)
• Business process analysis, diagramming process flow and workflow using Microsoft Visio or similar product
• Structured Query Language (SQL) using Microsoft Query Analyzer and other SQL tools
• Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft SQL Analysis Services, Integration Services and Reporting Services
• Current versions of Microsoft Visual Studio , MicroSoft .NET Framework, and Microsoft Sharepoint
Skills/Abilities: (position requirements at entry)
• Ability to create and alter stored procedures, functions, view, triggers, and other database objects
• Ability to develop data exchange services and web application interfaces using current versions of MicroSoft .NET Framework , Visual Basic ,, and/or other Microsoft-based tools including SQL Server Integration Services
• Strong skills in managing complexity, identifying and setting priorities
• Strong project management skills and comfort in ability to create and achieve success in highly matrix management environment.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• An analytical and broad business perspective on issues, but also the ability to delve into detail
• Ability to set priorities and work in matrixed environment
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
• Ability to apply sound judgment
• Self-motivated and ability to demonstrate self-initiative
• Resourceful and analytical in solving complex problems
• Ability to meet deadlines in a timely and accurate manner
• Has a progressive approach to technology and its adoption.
Education and Experience (position requirements at entry)
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology or related field
• At least 5 years demonstrated experience in application programming and support or similar experience
• Master's degree in computer science, information technology or related field
Trevor Steinmetz - Recruiter