Organization: Buchanan County
Title: GIS Coordinator
Location: Independence, Iowa 50644
Application Deadline: 2018-03-30
Position: GIS Coordinator
Gives work direction to: None
FLSA Status: Exempt Reports to: Board of Supervisors
Status: Full-time – Exempt
Salary: $50,000 – $60,000 (based on experience and qualifications)
Closing Date: March 30, 2018 at 4:30 PM
Revision Date: February 28, 2018
At will position appointed and reporting to the Board of Supervisors. Performs advanced knowledge work requiring the consistent exercise of discretion and judgement. The purpose of this position is to oversee, manage, and coordinate the development and maintenance of the county-wide Geographic Information System (GIS) including the strategic and long-range plans. Responsibilities will include maintenance and maintaining of the digital cadastral database, editing existing parcels, mapping new subdivisions and surveys, provide map production and creation of reports.
To oversee, manage, and coordinate the development and maintenance of the county-wide Geographic Information System (GIS) including the strategic and long-range plans. Responsibilities will include maintenance and maintaining of the digital cadastral database, editing existing parcels, mapping new subdivisions and surveys, provide map production and creation of reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Develop strategic plan of GIS initiatives including research, feasibility, and infrastructure; work with department heads to establish GIS goals and initiatives.
• Maintain the digital parcel map for the County with the Esri parcel fabric data model by means of technical and conceptual skills such as; but not limited to: geodatabase editing cadastral mapping, cartographic design, and interpretation of legal descriptions, plats and other survey data, understanding of topology rules, data models, metadata, and data quality standards.
• Assure that all topology rules have been assigned to parcels and are functioning. Perform quality assurance on mapping, real estate and parcel control systems to verify ground truths.
• Being a Subject Matter Expert (SME) by providing recommendations, direction, and assistance to facilitate skill development and efficient use of GIS.
• Install, set-up, and configure GIS desktop applications within the IT security guidelines. Manage GIS hardware and software licensing.
• Develop GIS documentation for end-user education and training purposes as well as for co-worker reference.
• Provides users with assistance, training, and support for GPS data collection and implementation projects.
• Respond to data requests from outside users, the general public and governmental agencies.
• Prepare an annual departmental budget for GIS operations and assures proper allocation/accountability for expenditures of funds.
• Makes recommendations for continuing improvements of the GIS system. Seek opportunities in obtaining additional funding through grant awards, and assures funding reports are completed and submitted to maintain eligibility.
• Must pass a thorough fingerprint search conducted by local, state, and national files.
• Must maintain a valid State of Iowa driver’s license and be insurable under the County’s guidelines; as operating a vehicle is required for travel between sites.
INCIDENTAL JOB DUTIES
• Any other duties as assigned or required by the Board of Supervisors.
• Attend meetings to provide insight into GIS data and associated capabilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED (Minor Functions of the Position)
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skill and abilities.
• Ability to use logical thinking to solve problems and reach conclusions; to perform assessments, make independent decisions; to collect, record, and interpret data; establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and goals.
• Ability to maintain composure while working under pressure and adapt quickly to change, to plan, organize, and prioritize tasks with numerous interruptions.
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing, to read, analyze and interpret blueprints, maps, periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
• Knowledge of basic office practices, the use of personal computers and Microsoft Office Suite software.
• Knowledge in the use of GIS software: ArcGIS 10.x Desktop Suite and ArcGIS Online
• General knowledge in the use of: Windows 7 and 10 OS, along with Mac iOS.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED (Major Functions of the Position): These are preferred skills or skills that must be obtained within six (6) months of hire.
• Experience with ArcGIS online and GIS web applications development and maintenance
• Experience creating processes to extract, transform and load (ETL) data into and out of GIS.
• Experience with GIS Extensions: Sidwell Parcel Administrator & FARMS software.
• Experience with GIS projects related to developing and maintaining GIS data for an E911 call center.
• Maintain the Master Street Address Guide (MSAG), and update E911 spatial datasets, databases, and maps.
• Knowledge of address standards (FGDC, NENA, etc.) for geocoding and verification techniques, etc.
• Knowledge and experience with E911 call centers including police, sheriff, fire, EMS, and EMA dispatch and emergency response operations.
• Working knowledge of National Emergency Number Association (NENA) i3 NG9-1-1 related standards.
Education/Training: High school diploma or GED; and a Bachelor’s Degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) with a major coursework in earth science; i.e. geography, geology, hydrology, planning, landscape architecture, computer science, or a related field of science.
Work Experience: A minimum of two-to-three years of experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) implementation and enterprise administration, preferably in local government.
An equivalent combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, planning, training, and/or work related experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
Required licenses, registrations, and certifications: Possession of a valid State of Iowa Driver’s license.
Required post-offer physical examinations: Must meet all requirements as outlined in the employee handbook.
Required drug testing: Drug testing shall be required as allowed by state law.
Residency requirement: None.
Other testing required: None.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
• Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee’s work is primarily performed inside in an office setting; however, some duties of the job require the employee to go outdoors. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
HOURS OF WORK
Generally; 37.5 hours per week to maintain full-time benefits. May be required to work additional hours to meet the operational needs of the office. Work hours or days may change with minimal notice.
1. Marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of essential job duties have been excluded from this job description.
2. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective employee and incumbents are encouraged to discuss possible accommodations with the County.
3. Job descriptions in no way state or imply that the description includes every duty to be performed by the employee in the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
4. The County reserves the right to change or reassign job duties or combine positions at any time.
5. Buchanan County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourage prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Applications can be obtained through the Buchanan County Auditor’s Office or through the County’s website at www.buchanancountyiowa.org. Applications will be accepted through Friday, March 30, 2018, 4:30 PM. Submit applications to the Buchanan County Auditor’s Office as listed below. Buchanan County is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). It is the policy of Buchanan County to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
GIS Coordinator Job Posting:
GIS Coordinator Job Description:
Buchanan County Employment Application