Organization: Carson City Public Works
Title: GIS/Asset Management Intern (Summer)
Location: Carson City, NV USA
Carson City Public Works is made up of several divisions that work together as a team to improve and maintain all facilities for the Consolidated Municipality of Carson City. Carson City Public Works takes pride in its ability to work with the public by providing outstanding customer service. The Public Works Department provides public services by maintaining and improving all public facilities and utilities such as water/wastewater, storm drain systems, and street systems, as well as managing capital projects, supporting the Citys asset management program, and maintaining geographic information systems (GIS) for Carson City.
Carson City Public Works has an available GIS/Asset Management internship position in the Engineering division for the summer of 2018. Some of the disciplines covered will be:
1. Using GIS software to produce maps, drawings, charts, graphs and related documents for various City departments.
2. Researching computer databases and hard copy files for maps, as-built drawings, construction drawings, specifications, right-of-ways and easements, technical data, land descriptions, facility locations, ownership and similar information, and summarizing such information for project use and support.
3. Performing field data collection using GPS hardware and mobile devices, and setting up equipment to perform asset location and inventory.
4. Processing and preparing data files for entry into enterprise geodatabases.
5. Attending training meetings and upgrading knowledge of GIS.
It is the goal of Carson City Public Works for its GIS/Asset Management interns to learn and grow as professionals by conducting various tasks including cartographic design, enterprise geodatabase editing, and mobile data collection through hands on experience.
Current enrollment as a student in an accredited college or university program or vocational training program with an emphasis on geographic information systems, engineering, planning, geography, computer information systems, or a closely related field.
Basic familiarity with concepts and terminology relating to geographic information systems.
Basic familiarity with ArcGIS Desktop and/or Esri GIS products.
Please submit the following documents in a PDF format:
Cover letter (optional)
An online submittal through Human Resources will be required once this position has posted:
For more information about Carson City Public Works GIS/Asset Management internship program, please contact Matthew Lawton at firstname.lastname@example.org