Organization: County of Allegheny
Title: Systems Engineer/GIS
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Job Title: Systems Engineer/GIS
Department: Computer Services
Salary: $5,529.32 per month
How to Apply: Applications are submitted online until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application. A resume may not be substituted for an application.
A Bachelorís Degree in Computer Science, Geography, Engineering, or a related field AND two (2) years of experience with ArcGIS, to include ArcGIS 10.x, ArcServer, ArcSDE, REST, SQL, and Python. Experience with JAVA is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
It is the policy of Allegheny County that in order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates must successfully pass a background check, which includes verification of Allegheny County Real Estate Tax status, and drug/medical examinations as required for the position.
- Maintains currency of Allegheny County Geographic Information Services (GIS) data.
- Develops and maintains enterprise GIS databases and Internet-based GIS applications within the Division of Computer Services for County-wide use or for use within specific County Departments.
- Assists with training County personnel in GIS skills.
- Ensures that data entered into the Allegheny County GIS systems from within or without meets standards for accuracy and correctness.
- Develops data for input into SQL database and develops Architecture of SQL database and internet map services provided through ArcServer.
- Prepares responses to inquiries from the public or from within the government and other studies and reports as assigned.
- Implements GIS projects within the various county departments as recommended by past, current, or future needs analyses that have been or have yet to be performed.
- Maintains data dictionaries for all GIS information on a current basis.
- Performs other related duties as required or requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Theory and operation of an enterprise GIS system, server architecture, database replications, and data management
- Programming with Python, Java, and HTML
- Surveying techniques and interpretation of Global Positioning Systems (GPS) derived data
- Basic map principles
- Learn new GIS technologies
- Maintain GIS in an enterprise system including REST, SOAP, SQL, SDE, ArcServer, and IIS
- Use geographical data input methods such as version editing, ArcPad, and geocoding
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Interact well with the public, elected officials, and county management and staff
- Work independently
Allegheny County within 1 year.
Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D