Organization: CIty of Walla Walla
Title: GIS Utility Specialist
Location: Walla Walla, WA
NATURE OF POSITION
Assist in maintaining the Geographic Information System (GIS) and support the GIS operations for the City; supply related GIS information to internal and external customers.
General direction and oversight is provided by the GIS Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Employees of the City of Walla Walla are expected to model and foster the City’s core values: Customer Focus - Excellence – Stewardship - Communication - Leadership - Integrity
2. Research and prepare, digitize and input information into the GIS and CAD systems.
3. Assist the GIS Supervisor with coordination and promoting use of GIS systems and products among field and office personnel throughout City departments.
4. Improve and document processes to assist in the development and support of GIS.
5. Utilize system computers, software and programming skills to support and maintain the GIS, CAD and network systems; respond to requests for computer support from other Divisions.
6. Create reports, maps and other products for agency departments using GIS and CAD system technology; provide information and support for GIS users.
7. Respond to and assemble sewer, storm, water, planning services, and related GIS information requests from the public, contractors and other agencies; assemble, evaluate and interpret information to assure compliance to the customer requests.
8. Ability to read and accurately document and digitize (COGO) legal descriptions.
9. Audit and maintain standards for various databases associated with GIS.
10. Ability to manage and accurately report on multiple projects.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Demonstrate punctual, regular and reliable attendance which is essential for successful job performance.
2. Present a positive, professional image; maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; assure excellent customer service with internal and external customers.
3. Execute assignments, projects and job responsibilities efficiently and within defined timeframes; work independently and effectively with little direction.
4. Demonstrate good judgment and employ critical thinking to execute duties, identify issues, seek solutions and recommend improvements in support of departmental goals.
5. Provide assistance to staff and higher level management; participate in resolving operational or interpersonal concerns; participate in training, meetings, and on committees as assigned.
6. Respect the value of diversity in the workplace and the community.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Geographic Information System concepts, programs, methodology, and implementation.
• Computer-aided drafting software and hardware.
• Municipal code and standard plans for the City; laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities; City/County organization, operations, policies, procedures, and objectives.
• Principles and practices of civil engineering, field surveying, field-to-office data collection, computer-aided mapping and computer-aided design.
• Methods, techniques, and instruments used in engineering drafting, surveying and mathematics including algebra and geometry.
• Read, review and understand engineering plans and specifications; interpret plans and survey notes.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; develop written reports; maintain records.
• Maintain the GIS maps and database and records of GIS source documents.
• Examine requests for mapping products and determine method of GIS or CAD to meet the request.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Develop methodology, analyze user needs and produce special data products.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
GIS software and hardware; computer-aided drafting software and hardware.
Sitting and standing for extended periods of time; seeing, hearing and speaking to exchange information; repetitive hand movements; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard; intermittently stand, walk, kneel, stoop, bend at the waist and lift up to 20 pounds.
Indoor environment; driving a vehicle to conduct work; subject to seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination equivalent to: Associate degree in GIS technology and two years increasingly responsible in GIS and CAD technology; or GIS training as a part of a higher education curriculum with a combination of training and/or job experience that provides the required knowledge and skills. Valid State driver’s license.
Bachelor’s degree; experience in Database Analysis (SQL); legal description and COGO experience; bilingual in Spanish.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
A completed City application and resume are required to apply. Applications may be found on the Human Resources page of the City of Walla Walla website: wallawallawa.gov.
Applicants whose experience most closely meets the requirements of the position will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an oral panel interview, reference inquiries and may include a criminal background check and consumer report. The incumbent will serve a six-month trial service period. Completed application packages can be mailed to:
CITY OF WALLA WALLA-HR
15 N. Third Avenue
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (509) 524-7935.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The City of Walla Walla will provide reasonable accommodation to handicapped applicants if requested. Please notify the Human Resources office at least 5 days prior to the need.
NOTE: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT EMPLOYER
THE CITY OF WALLA WALLA DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.
MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.