Organization: City of Sheboygan
Title: Engineering Technician
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Under general direction, performs a variety of responsible semi professional engineering tasks of a complex nature which require a high sense of responsibility and initiative to work independently without supervision and to work from oral and written instructions.
1. Serves as chief of field crew as needed and acts as instrument man.
2. Completes final drawings consistent with engineering determinations and with a minimum check for technical adequacy.
3. Drafts and prepares plans and drawings used in construction of sewers, curbs and gutters, and street work from field notes, rough sketches, old drawings, and oral instructions to put designs, plans, and specifications into acceptable form.
4. Works in close support with the design engineer to develop the details of form and relationship of components, and recommends and makes routine design changes where necessary.
5. Makes special plans, traces, profiles, and sections for public works projects, and performs special drawings, drafting projects, detailed investigations and studies for other departments.
6. May maintain file records and reports, answer public inquires, interpret drawings and plans when requested, and figure special assessment charges.
7. Inspects the work of private contractors and City work forces and provides documentation of this construction, including lab tests.
8. Helps coordinate with the winter snow removal.
9. Performs other related work as required.
Working knowledge of basic departmental procedures, policies, practices, and
related municipal codes.
Proficiency in mathematics, reading charts, graphs, and construction plans.
High level of accuracy and proficiency in interpreting and compiling legible
records and data and ability to collate and summarize data and prepare reports.
Working knowledge of surveying principles and ability to interpret plat field notes.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public,
contractors, and other departments. Possession of a valid Wisconsin Motor Vehicle
Operator's license in good standing and an insured automobile for use on the job.
Experience in conventional and robotic total stations and global positioning systems (preferably Leica and/or Trimble)
Experience in data collection and data collection software (preferably Leica and/or Trimble)
Experience in construction laser levels
Experience in Civil 3D
Experience in Municipal government and public works projects a plus
Experience in Collecting/editing/processing GPS data
Experience in editing, creating, analyzing, and updating both spatial and non-spatial data
Proficiency with Esri GIS software suite (ArcMap/Pro, Catalog, etc.)
Knowledge of SQL database and enterprise geodatabase design and management
Familiarity with schemas and/or data dictionaries
Associates Degree in Civil Engineering Technology or closely related field is required.
For an application and a statement of the requirements, contact: www.sheboyganwi.gov
Application, cover letter and resume may be sent to: