Organization: City Utilities of Springfield, Missouri
Title: GIS Analyst
Location: Springfield, Missouri
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Supervisor-GIS or designee, responsible for the daily maintenance, quality assurance, and network integrity of City Utilities’ Geographic Information System (GIS). Responsible for implementing the policies and procedures in regards to Data Integrity for all utility network data input into the GIS. Responsible for training and support of Utility personnel in their use of and value extraction from GIS data. Provides assistance in analysis of data within the GIS including but not limited to modeling of system data, custom tracing, and specialized map creation. This individual will apply proven communication skills, problem-solving skills, and knowledge of best practices to guide decisions on Data Integrity related to the design, development, and deployment of mission-critical information required by the operations of the Utility.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Responsible for performing quality assurance checking of the work performed by GIS Technicians and/or Engineers/Designers. Responsible for the work returned to customers as it pertains to correctness, data integrity, completeness, and accuracy.
2. May supervise GIS Technicians, Master Designers-GIS, and/or co-ops with regards to GIS related projects.
3. Administers and manages ArcSDE version activity including:
a) Dealing with conflict versions and identifying/addressing version/design inconsistencies.
b) Reviews RecAndPost Polygon log files on a regular basis, and makes necessary adjustments if required.
c) Assists with the workflow development for all processes that impact the ArcSDE database. This includes daily editing and data maintenance and ad hoc projects.
d) Reviews ArcSDE log files on a regular basis, and makes necessary adjustments if required.
e) Reviews ArcSDE tables to confirm there are no orphaned states, orphaned records in delta tables, and that user log tables are being successfully truncated.
f) Reviews logs and data base lineage to confirm successful execution of compress and analyze.
g) Reconciles and posts all version activity.
4. Responsible for providing technical leadership for GIS Technicians, GIS Master Technicians as well as assisting in the training of operations Engineers/Designers, Toughbook Users, and other users of GIS by providing large group, small group and one-on-one training.
5. Responsible for Data Maintenance for all network data on a regular basis which includes but is not limited to connectivity, corrective actions, Loops, Multifeeds, system integrations, etc.
6. Assists with providing direction to GIS vendors and GIS Consultants to achieve system and departmental needs and goals. Assists in the development of scope of work for GIS data projects while working closely with Consultants or internal project management to manage data project workflow.
7. Prepares GIS data as needed in advance of work being performed by Designers, such that they can proceed with design work in a timely manner.
8. Assists in the variety of planning, design, and analysis work in order to administer GIS activities.
9. Supports the Supervisor-GIS with communicating requirements and priorities that affect the daily activities of employees in the GIS group.
10. Provides technical assistance with GIS data development, database maintenance, and cartographic production.
11. Assists with the development of standards, quality control procedures, and documentation for GIS system and related applications as well as assisting with the development of system stored displays used by Engineers/Designers and GIS Technicians.
12. Assists in providing phone and on-site support to GIS users including Engineers/Designers. Troubleshoots GIS problems. Assists with troubleshooting hardware and software problems.
13. Assists in the development of project specifications and graphic standards for consultants and GIS technicians for large and small scale data projects.
14. Provides data validations for both “In-Design” and “Site Complete” statuses.
15. Assists with developing/writing training documentation for Designers/Engineers, GIS Technicians, and GIS Master Technicians.
16. Assists with planning GIS upgrades and enhancements, as well as product testing.
17. Assists with Work Flow development for internal and external processes that involve as-builts, data posting, and data integrity.
18. Works with engineering departments and GIS data area to develop high-level processes for GIS data updates and/or corrections.
19. Determines commodity needs regarding connectivity rules and notifies Supervisor-GIS of requested data model changes to meet commodity needs.
20. Determines and approves changes to attribute sort order, primary display field, snapping rules, and other data presentation efficiencies. Also performs changes to attribute sort order, primary display field, and other ArcCatalog settings as applicable to GIS dept. permissions.
21. Peer review designs before and after construction for data integrity.
22. Provides assistance in analysis of data within the GIS including but not limited to modeling of system data, custom tracing, and specialized map creation.
23. Performs other project-related duties or functions as needed when critical to business function.
24. Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, Geospatial Sciences, information technology, construction technology, or other related field is required. Exceptional related experience may be considered in lieu of a college degree on a year-for-year basis. Must have a minimum of three years of recent experience supporting GIS data networks, preferably electric, natural gas, and/or water distribution GIS data or engineering design support that includes a strong background on the GIS systems. Preference will be given to at least one year ArcSDE experience.
Must have a valid Driver’s License (minimum Class F).
Must have a thorough technical knowledge of current ESRI products (ArcGIS Suite of Products). Working knowledge and experience in ArcSDE administration is preferred. Experience in enterprise-scale utility GIS implementation is desired. ArcFM configuration and understanding of design workflows is desired. Experience with integration with other Utility T&D applications (i.e., Work Management, Customer Information System, Outage Management, etc.) is desired. Aerial photography experience is desirable. Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products. Must have the ability to delegate and effectively coordinate the activities of others. Must have high analytical, organizational, problem-solving, and relational skills. The capability to quickly learn and become familiar with technical subjects is essential. Must be able to communicate clearly, concisely, and convey technical information in non-technical terms. Must have excellent oral and written presentation skills. Must have the ability to meet and deal with people cooperatively and effectively. Must have good telephone skills. Must possess demonstrated abilities in meeting deadlines and scheduling of work for timely completion.
Must be able to visually differentiate between color-coded lines and symbols associated with utilization of geospatial software. May be required to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally.
Duties are primarily performed in an office environment. Will require occasional late hours and weekend work to perform system maintenance while users are off the system.
Must be able to work successfully with diverse groups of people.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants may apply online at cityutilities.net under Corporate/Careers/Job Openings.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse