Organization: Center for Global Discovery and Conservation Science, Arizona State University
Title: Remote Sensing Research Specialist
Location: Tempe, AZ
Application Deadline: 2019-08-21
Remote Sensing Research Specialist
Center for Global Discovery and Conservation Science
Arizona State University
ASUís Center for Global Discovery and Conservation Science (GDCS) is pleased to announce an opening for a full-time (40 hrs per week) scientific technician position. We seek a highly motivated person to join our Center, which is at the forefront of satellite/airborne remote sensing science. The unique capabilities of GDCS place us as key players in global efforts to understand and preserve Earthís remaining biodiversity.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Center's researchers in many different projects across terrestrial and coral landscapes and using cutting-edge approaches. We seek someone who can combine and manipulate multiple geospatial data sources, thus strong computing and quantitative skills are desirable. In particular we seek someone with demonstrated experience with python or other high-level language and working knowledge of remote sensing or GIS concepts. A masterís degree in areas such as remote sensing, GIS, or computer science is strongly preferred. The position will be based at GDCS in Tempe, Arizona, and will report to GDCS Lead Data Scientist, Dr. Nick Vaughn, but will typically be collaborating on projects with several center scientists simultaneously.
Business office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 amĖ5:00 pm.
We are looking for a creative and highly motivated candidate.
- Bachelor's degree or 4 years equivalent experience in an appropriate field.
- Comfort with reading and writing Python code, preferably with geospatial programming experience.
- Experience with GIS software and a solid understanding of GIS concepts.
- Interest to work in a highly international environment.
- Masterís degree in an appropriate field.
- Demonstrated skill in Linux command line - i.e. able to work on ASUís Agave cluster(https://cores.research.asu.edu/research-computing/user-guide).
- Experience in object-based satellite image classification (e.g., using eCognition or other image segmentation tools).
- Experience in handling and manipulating big remote sensing datasets.
- Knowledge of machine learning models and tools, particularly those applicable to remote sensing data.
The Center for Global Discovery and Conservation Science is a new and growing research center focusing on discovery, conservation, and action. GDCS lease spatially-explicit scientific and technological research focused on mitigating and adapting to global environmental change. Our mission is to generate innovative scientific discoveries and outcomes that benefit conservation, resource management , and policy efforts.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse