Organization: United States Marine Corps
Title: GIS Analyst - Cartographic Technician
Location: Camp Pendleton, CA, USA
CARTOGRAPHIC TECHNICIAN GS-1371-09/11
The position serves as the Installation Geospatial Information & Services (IGI&S) analyst for MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton, under the Assistant Chief of Staff, G-F (Facilities). The primary purpose of this position is to provide professional and technical services for the Installation Geospatial Information and Services (IGI&S) program.
The GEOFidelis program is established under Marine Corps Order 11000.25, Installation Geospatial Information and Services. Each installation remains responsible for their data collection, maintenance, and individual program management.
Positions are available throughout all Marine Corps Installations in Southern California.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Compiles, updates, and maintains existing GIS data. Plans, develops, and establishes cartographic compilations for existing or proposed development plans. Analyzes and reviews all mapping data to determine updating requirements for old and current maps and established criteria to determine whether mapping work should be accomplished in-house or by contract.
Assists survey crew with field data collection and processing. The cartographic technician fills-in on field survey crew to perform topographic, deformation, and other various surveys.
2. Provides technical advice and guidance to customers to facilitate GIS data collection, publication and usage. Ensures that the database provides a consistent, high quality common operational picture and situational awareness capability for the Installation.
3. Produces Geographic Information System (GIS) products. The cartographic technician produces various GIS products utilizing off the shelf software to support all district programs. Products may include automated mapping, development of associated tabular databases, and analysis of existing data.
4. Responsible for the accuracy, quality, and timeliness of published products, either hardcopy or digital maps. Evaluates Installation requirements for imagery acquisition, including requirements for resolution, scale, spectral signatures, coverage extents, and refresh cycles
5. Performs specialized and complex GIS spatial queries and analysis for the Command and the customers. Produces map of results in clear and understandable format.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
1. Knowledge of cartographic concepts, principles, and practices of geography and geospatial information systems. Experience in the application of GIS for facilities and/or environmental management.
2. Knowledge and experience with geographic/geospatial analysis, geospatial information system principles, cartography, orthophoto, land use, land cover, digital maps, and remote sensing techniques. Must also be proficient with ESRIŽ ArcGIS Suite 10.x and ArcSDE 10.x, or similar software. Experience with AutoCAD is desirable.
3. Ability to apply new technologies to problems not resolvable through conventional methods. Must have skills in applying complex fact finding, analytical, and problem-solving methods and techniques.
4. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with customers, Marines, other GIS professionals, and engineers of all disciplines.
5. Ability to prepare and present, clear and concise briefs and cartographic products on highly technical issues and systems.
6. Bachelors degree in GIS, Cartography, Geography, or related studies is desired, but not required.
7. GIS Professional Certificate is desired, but not required.
Office Envirionment and Other Requirements:
1. The work is primarily sedentary, but may require walking and standing in conjunction with GPS field work, travel and attendance at meetings, and conferences away from the work site.
2. Must be a US Citizen.
3. Clear background check.
4. Current drivers license.
5. Pay: See OPM.gov
Apply at USAJOBS.gov.
Send resume to [email protected]
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse