Organization: GIS Certification Institute
Title: Executive Director
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Application Deadline: 2020-08-20
GIS Certification Institute
Note: This is a Remote / Telecommute Position
The GIS Certification Institute (GISCI) is a non-profit organization (IRS 501c6 designation) that promotes the advancement of proficient Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) professionals through its international GISP® (Certified GIS Professional) certification program. Formed through the collaborative effort of five existing geospatial and geography organizations, the Institute fosters rigorous professional and ethical standards, community engagement, and professional mentoring within the GIS industry. Since the founding of GISCI in 2004, over 10,500 individuals throughout the world have achieved the GISP® designation. The GISP® Certification process consists of a portfolio review of the applicant’s performance in the areas of Ethics, Education, Experience, and Contributions to the Profession as well as the successful completion of the GISP® Exam. For more information visit www.gisci.org
The Executive Director of the GISCI works closely with the GISCI Board of Directors and will strive to carry out the organization’s mission, policies, and initiatives. The Executive Director will be the official representative of the GISCI and the administrative leader of all organizational activities regarding programming, business management, and the development and administration of the GISP® Exam. In addition to working with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will work closely with key representatives of the five (5) founding organizations of the GISCI. This position will be performed remotely.
The Executive Director directly supervises the activities of the GISCI, its programs and all contracting agencies of the Institute and will work closely with the contracted management company to achieve all organizational goals and objectives. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Direct the activities of the Institute in accordance with the policies established by the Board.
• Recommend policies, plans and programs, and provide the Board with information necessary to the Board’s policy-making functions.
• Organize and supervise an effective and efficient administrative organization for the Institute.
• Develop and maintain a comprehensive marketing program to promote the Institute’s programs, services, and special events.
• Oversee the development and operation of the revenue activities of the Institute in conjunction with the Board Treasurer
• Oversee the development, implementation and assessment of a Board approved Strategic Plan in order to achieve key goals for the GISCI.
• Provide leadership and direction in the ongoing improvement of the GISP® assessment content and administration process.
• Represent the Institute in all matters pertaining to the geospatial community and related concerns which affect the Institute’s current and future interests.
• In concert with the Board of Directors, develop and manage an approved annual budget and provide timely financial updates for Board review. The GISCI Budget for 2020 is slightly under $800,000.
• Exercise sound fiscal management by reviewing and analyzing current fiscal conditions and projecting financial needs and resources.
Industry and Public Relations
• Build and maintain strong collaborative relations with the geospatial community.
• Accurately represent to the Board the needs of various groups with the GIS community.
• Act as the representative of the Institute in providing information to the media, the industry, and the general public as necessary.
• Serve as a key contact for current and prospective GIS Professionals in promoting GISP certification.
Advocating for the Profession
• Promote greater awareness and support of Institute’s mission by representing the Institute within various governmental, academic and industry activities and initiatives.
• Effectively represent the Institute through written and speaking opportunities.
• Work to build collaborative working relationships with Institute’s member organizations and partner organizations.
• Monitor federal, state, and local statutes and ordinances, both existing and proposed, which may affect Institute operations.
Professional Qualifications and Personal Characteristics
• Professional experience in the field of geographic information systems (GIS) and/or geography (5+ years). GISP Certification preferred but not required.
• The ideal candidate will have experience in leading and growing professional associations (5+ years).
• Previous experience with certification programs, including the development of performance standards, performance assessment, and assessment administration will be valuable prior experiences to the successful candidate.
• As this is a remote leadership position, previous experience managing teams remotely will be valuable.
• Prior experience working with state and federal rules, regulations, and programs preferred.
• Ability to understand the needs of the GIS community and to formulate programs designed to meet these needs in alignment with the Institute’s mission.
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business management, engineering management, public or business administration, geography, or geospatial information systems. Knowledge or experience in the geospatial profession will be an important attribute for the successful candidate.
This position offers a competitive compensation package including salary and benefits.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
GISCI is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Submit cover letter and resume to Jon Rosell, Senior Search Consultant, The Moran Company. Copy and paste this link to apply: https://bit.ly/3dyqv9u
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse