Organization: Coconino County
Title: IT Manager - GIS: Information Technology
Application Deadline: 2021-03-05
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONLINE AT:
ALTERNATIVE FORMAT MAY BE OBTAINED AT:
420 N. San Francisco Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
An Equal Opportunity Employer
SALARY: Annually: $80,486.00
OPENING DATE: 02/03/21
CLOSING DATE: 03/05/21 05:00 PM
NATURE OF WORK:
Coconino County promotes a transformational leadership philosophy which elicits employee growth, cultivates inspiration and creates future leaders by empowering employees to solve internal and external customer needs and exceed customer service expectations. As an award-winning organization with high regard for cultural diversity and the positive contributions of the many thriving cultures within our county, our nation, and our society, Coconino County leads a variety of initiatives that celebrate diversity; from our Annual Diversity Day, and monthly Heritage Lunch & Learns, to book clubs, and professional development academies which target diverse workforce segments. Coconino County's respect for diversity is shared throughout the organization. Come be part of this optimistic, innovative team where outstanding customer service creates dynamic solutions and engages leadership at every level.
This is working manager position under general direction, performing work of considerable difficulty in directing the strategic and operational functions of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Division of Information Technology. This includes overseeing Enterprise GIS systems and programs; and direct supervision of staff. The GIS Manager plans, directs, and implements complex GIS-related projects, including facilitating teams, identifying resources, and establishing project objectives, timelines and milestones. Performs related work as assigned.
Responsible for the overall success of the GIS program, work processes, and systems
Leads the planning, organizing and implementation of services, programs and activities within the division
Determines the goals, objectives, and operational priorities of the GIS Division
Translates business requirements to proposed technical solutions that align with the departmentís business strategy
Serves as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) to identify, troubleshoot, implement, upgrade, patch and resolve GIS related issues
Researches, evaluates, and monitors new GIS technologies for possible integration into County functions
Recruits, manages, and evaluates assigned staff
Guides and facilitates employees toward process improvement
Embraces the Countyís Core Values by assuring, promoting and maintaining a productive work environment, effective communications programs and participative decision making
Ensures that GIS is integrated into Coconino County functions in the most efficient, effective manner
Identifies need for change in programs or development of new programs and recommends changes to the CIO/IT Director
Performs technical GIS work of a complex nature to integrate GIS solutions in departments
Provides technological solutions for the exchange of information with outside agencies including Federal, State, Municipal, and private and public partners.
Interprets, communicates, and ensures compliance with and implementation of all policies and procedures within the GIS division under direction of CIO/IT Director
Represents the countyís GIS division at meetings with other departments, to outside agencies and the public
Develops and administers the capital and operational budgets for GIS
Oversees the bidding process, contractor selection, and contract compliance
Other duties as assigned
Essential functions include: working with and around others; working with frequent interruptions; repetitive (hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder) motion for computer work; visual acuity (near and far) for computer work; color vision for working with computer screen; hearing and speech for ordinary conversations and presenting to groups; touch for computer work.
Bachelorís degree in GIS, Geography, Urban Planning, Environmental Science, or a related field, with four years of progressively responsible experience in the design, development, implementation and administration of geographical information systems, including two years supervisory experience OR; any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
This position is exempt from overtime.
The ideal candidate will coordinate the successful delivery of Enterprise GIS services having a proven track-record of managerial experience in deploying enterprise- wide solutions using the full ArcGIS Enterprise platform. This position will coordinate support to various internal and external clients; and offers daily diversity of work activities based on client needs. The candidate will be responsible for directing and participating in work on multiple projects, and must maintain high levels of professional conduct and work quality.
Preferred qualifications include experience leading a team to provide innovative GIS solutions. Ability to work on and manage a variety of projects while meeting tight deadlines; troubleshoot problems and develop both short- and long-term solutions; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups including customers in stressful situations; ability to work collaboratively with IT peers; to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization; including the ability to conduct public presentations and GIS training. Skilled with ESRI Enterprise GIS products including ArcGIS Version 10.x. A creative problem-solver who likes to be challenged, with a demonstrated willingness to take initiative and ability to work independently.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Considerable knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of positive supervision
- Principles of leadership and staff development administration and evaluation
- Management practices associated with GIS applications and database design, development and implementation
- Expert Level skills or experience using and configuring ArcGIS Enterprise: ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Portal, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online and other GIS-related programs
- Applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, codes and ordinances
- Relational database management and administration
- Programming languages including Java, Python, SQL query, C/C++, HTML, VBA, Visual Basic, ASP, .NET
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Principles and practices of public administration and strategic planning
- Independent judgement and decision-making abilities
- Complex GIS concepts and analytical techniques including but not limited to: data conversion, spatial data quality assessment and control, spatial analyses, web concepts
- GIS applications and database design, development and implementation
- Project management methodologies including life-cycle project management for small- and large-scale GIS projects
- The design and integration of GIS technology into established operations to improve output quality and efficiency
- Governmental budgetary practices, including purchasing, contract management, and project cost analysis
- Analyze complex data management problems and develop appropriate solutions
- Plan, initiate, and manage projects from beginning to end, with minimal direction
- Effectively carry out difficult and complex assignments requiring considerable independent judgment and initiative with a minimum of supervision
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, appointed department directors, staff, other agencies, the media and the general public
- Follow written and oral instructions
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
Coconino County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse