Organization: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Title: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
Location: Champaign, IL
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
FACILITIES & SERVICES
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
The Engineering & Construction Services Facilities Information Resources Unit at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a GIS Specialist to help lead the expansion of Facilities Information Resources geographic information systems products and services. Facilities Information Resources (FIR) maintains documentation and information systems related to campus infrastructure, and offers value-added custom services to enhance campus preparedness, awareness, knowledge and efficiency. The department is comprised of three units: GIS, Records, and Space Inventory.
Under the general supervision of the Facilities Information Management Coordinator this position is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations and assisting with the development of GIS in Facilities and Services. The GIS Specialist is also responsible for production work involving maintenance of our ArcGIS Enterprise database, creation of GIS products and services and GPS data collection. In addition, the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist will provide expertise, knowledge and a high degree of technical skill related to the field of geographic information science. The GIS Specialist will be responsible for developing strategies to help manage and maintain Facilities Information Resources GIS data, coordinate cross-unit initiatives to standardize access controls, implement standards and procedures for maintaining GIS data and collaborate closely with staff across multiple Facilities & Services units including University personnel.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and maintain Facilities Information Resource ArcGIS Enterprise Database.
- Work closely with Energy Services, Utility Distribution Staff managing, documenting and maintaining the University's utility distribution systems GIS data.
- Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of custom GIS workflows and tools using Model Builder, Python, or other scripting languages.
- Utilize Esri's suite of ArcGIS software applications with relational databases including MS Access and SQL Server.
- Assist with the development of client Esri ArcGIS web applications and services.
- Develop custom maps for Facilities Information Resource's, F&S and campus customers.
- Assist with coordinating cross-unit initiatives to standardize controls and access to GIS related resources.
- Use Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment to collect data.
- Conduct fieldwork to verify facility management information.
- Supervise student staff, prioritize work.
- Train staff on use of GIS applications.
- Coordinate with the Champaign County GIS Consortium and Cities of Champaign and Urbana on GIS datasets and initiatives.
- Assume appropriate related additional duties to further the mission of the unit.
Required: See required Experience for education information.
Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Geographic Information Science (GIS), Computer Science, or related field.
Required: Two years of progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession. College course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline may be substituted as follows: 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year, 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years. Demonstrated experience working with Geographic Information Systems, Esri ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Enterprise.
Preferred: 3-5 years of experience working with Geographic Information Systems.3-5 years of experience working with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS EnterpriseExperience deploying and/or using Esri mobile applications including: Collector, Explorer, and Survey 123 AutoCAD or AutoCAD Map 3D Experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of basic geographic information systems management functions.
- Experience with Trimble GPS units and office software.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office suite Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to prioritize workload, work independently with minimum supervision, and take initiative.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn new software and computer systems.
- Experience working across multiple organizational levels.
- Basic understanding of large scale utility distribution systems.
- Strong customer service values and skills.
- Creative problem solving skills.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Information Technology Technical Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. Anticipated start date is as soon as possible following the closing date. Salary is commensurate with qualifications.
Applications must be received by April 10, 2021. Apply for this position using the "Apply for Position" button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload the following documents:
- cover letter
- resume (months and years of employment must be included)
- academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or copy of diploma may be acceptable) for all degrees attained (if you want to specifically spell out bachelor's, master's, and doctorate degrees here, you can)
- names/contact information for three references
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the "Apply for Position" button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Ken McCray at [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse