Organization: Maricopa Association of Governments
Title: Geographic Information Systems Analyst I
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Salary: $46,296 - $69,444 (depending on experience and qualifications)
Location: Maricopa Association of Governments, downtown Phoenix, Arizona.
The Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) is a group of local governments working together on issues that touch the lives of every resident. We are a regional planning agency that develops solutions in areas such as transportation, air quality, economic development, and programs that meet the human needs of the region.
The Maricopa Association of Governments seeks candidates for a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst I position. This is an entry level GIS position that will perform routine tasks and assist in providing GIS and other analytical support to Regional Analytics Division (RAD) staff. The successful candidate will collect, update, and maintain various GIS datasets, including but not limited to land use, general plan amendments, development plans, open space, and regional bikeways. The ideal candidate must demonstrate proficiency with ArcGIS. Analysis of data and communication of the results of those analyses through maps and presentations is also a requirement.
- Assist in the maintenance of the Developments and General Plan land use geospatial geodatabases, including collection of original source
materials from the MAG member agencies.
- Assist in the update of Existing Land Use data for the MAG Region.
- Assist in the development of Python scripts to automate analysis and ETL operations on land use data.
- Conduct analysis of land use datasets to produce reports and maps for MAG staff and member agencies. Provide special area reports to other
MAG Divisions and member agencies.
- Work with GIS programming staff to ensure that data presented in online map viewers is current and relevant.
- Create high quality maps and graphics for use in public meetings and publications.
- Support RAD team and MAG staff in other projects as requested.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, geography, computer science, or a related field.
- 1 year experience in related field preferred
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge and skills:
- Must demonstrate proficiency with ArcGIS as MS Office products
- Enjoy solving problems involving multiple data sets
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment with members who have a wide range of skillsets and maintain constructive
- Attention to detail and ability to critically examine datasets and analysis
- Analyze data in a concise, and meaningful way
- Demonstrate creativity on projects, particularly with map creation with attention to producing high quality maps and graphics
- Researching complex issues and providing effective solutions
- Outstanding organization and time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Team player who is ready to participate in challenging projects
- Knowledge and proficiency with GIS tools (Esri preferred)
- Proficiency with relational databases and software as well as MS Office products including Excel
- Knowledge of GIS programming languages, Python in particular, is desirable but not required.
- Familiarity with development projects and other documents produced by city planning and development agencies is preferred.
To view all position vacancies, please visit our Jobs Page at: http://azmag.gov/Jobs-RFPs-RFQs/Jobs-at-MAG.
You can now apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" button at the top right-hand corner of each position. Please read and follow the instructions on the application page. Your application will be considered “in process” until you complete it and hit the “Submit” button.
All applications must be submitted through our online application system. It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. Do not type "see resume" in these fields. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.
The Maricopa Association of Governments is an Equal Opportunity Employer. During the selection process, any applicant requiring accommodation for a disability should advise the Human Resources Division by calling (602) 452-5032.
About the MAG Region
The Greater Phoenix region is a dynamic, vibrant, growing area that offers businesses and residents prosperity and an enriching quality of life. Great weather, safe neighborhoods and the beauty of the Sonoran desert make the region a great place to live and work. Our schools are among the best in the nation, with three Arizona schools on the top ten list for the entire country. These quality schools contribute to the region’s skilled workforce. Greater Phoenix and Arizona are noted as having one of the most business friendly and entrepreneurial environments.
A state-of-the-art freeway system, along with a robust light rail and transit system, means easy commutes. Recently, the WAZE traffic navigation app recognized Phoenix as the best driving experience in the world. This quality transportation system connects residents with employment and opportunities to compete in the global economy. Conveniently located within driving distance of skiing in northern Arizona, the beaches of California, and the culture of Mexico, the MAG region is a perfect place to call home.
For more information about our region and all it offers, please visit https://maps.azmag.gov/.
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse