Organization: Medina Electric Cooperative, Inc
Title: GIS Technician
Location: 2308 18th Street Hondo, Tx
Reports To: Engineer
Supervises: No Supervisory Responsibilities
Education: Must have an Associate’s Degree or equivalent course work at a technical or vocational school in geographic information systems, geography, computer science, engineering, or a related field, OR
Experience: At least two years experience preferred working with geographic information systems and databases.
• In depth knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS 10.x Software Suite including ArcGIS Desktop, Arc Catalog, Server Manager and Flex Viewer. Microsoft office – Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of NISC IVUE and AutoDesk Autocad a plus.
• Possesses the ability, in ESRI ArcGIS, to accurately portray electrical engineering plans using industry specific terminology and symbology along with procedures such as data development, manipulation, Ortho-rectification, Geo-rectification and quality control.
• Reads and uses graphic instructions such as blueprints, layouts or other visual aids including zoning maps, quarter-section maps, plat maps, land use maps, single line maps, and aerial maps.
• Performs mathematical calculations using algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
• Ability to present facts clearly and accurately in graphic form.
• Competent in coordinating projects with other employees and works effectively as a team member.
• Ability to identify and solve problems, prioritize changing workloads, and consistently meet deadlines.
• Strong oral and written communication skills to tactfully and courteously communicate with the general public and employees.
Other Requirements: Must have a valid Texas driver’s license.
The following are essential functions of this position and not intended to be all inclusive. An employee may be directed to perform other reasonably related job duties and responsibilities. MEC reserves the right to revise or change the job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. The position description will be updated accordingly. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Typical Responsibilities Include
Performs assignments on work related to recording or producing information associated with the construction, operation, and maintenance of Utility Systems as qualified through formalized and/or on the job training. Maintains the GIS connected model with information from sources including, but not limited to, work management systems, as-built construction drawings, work orders, completion records, field reports or other information sources. Prepares maps, drawings and charts to keep system’s database current. Operates computer-aided design and drafting mapping system software.
1. Develops and maintains the geographic information systems (GIS) databases, coverages, and linkages to various databases.
2. Perform analysis or queries to assemble data and prepare reports, tabulations, charts and maps from asset information contained in the connected model and various other data sources.
3. Produce standard prints and ad-hoc plots for field requests containing specific information derived from the connected model and various other data sources.
4. Maintain service point data and the relationship to feeding source transformer.
5. Track lifespan of utility asset data, including history, inspection and attachments.
6. Resolve conflicting data, mapping, connectivity, and land issues through office or field investigation.
7. Perform GIS work pertaining to major projects such as facility relocations, load rearrangement and new business.
8. Coordinates and oversees MEC’s Avian Protection Program.
9. Operate automated office equipment including, but no limited to printers, plotters, duplication machines, facsimile and scanners.
10. File records and data pertaining to the work.
11. Perform manual or computer aided drafting.
12. Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and works cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
13. Wears appropriate safety attire as required.
14. Performs all duties in accordance to applicable safety, policy, and procedure manuals.
15. Attends seminars, in-house training, and other functions relevant to position. Travel may include overnight stays and traveling alone.
16. Must be able to drive and maintain a current Texas driver’s license.
17. Must be able to work during emergency conditions.
18. Conduct must reflect a professional image when in contact with members, general public, and employees.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Works in a climate controlled office environment 90% of the time and outdoors 10% of the time. Job requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, climb, bend, reach, perform continuous or repetitive arm-hand movements, and the ability to lift or carry objects weighing up to 40 lbs. Specific vision abilities require the ability to distinguish up close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception, and to adjust focus. Requires sufficient hearing abilities and the use of hands and fingers to feel objects, tools or controls. Possibility of minor cuts, bruises, sprains, exposure to poison oak/ivy, insect bites/stings and unpredictable animals. Requires the ability to travel across rough, uneven or rocky surfaces when conducting field inspections or performing survey work. Occasionally requires driving a vehicle, traveling alone, and working extended hours. Attendance and punctuality is a work requirement.
Apply online at Medinaec.org
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse