Organization: CITY OF DECATUR
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Decatur, IL,
The City of Decatur is actively seeking to hire a GIS Specialist. This position will support the City’s rapidly expanding Geographic Information System. Examples of the type of work you would be doing include enhancing mobile data collection through the use of Field Maps for ArcGIS and Survey123, collecting data to support our neighborhood revitalization efforts, supporting our Public Works Department in maintaining layers related to underground utilities, and most importantly encouraging the use of GIS as a solution in new and innovative ways.
Some recent examples of Decatur’s use of GIS include: a survey of our urban core neighborhoods (using Collector, Dashboards, ArcGIS Pro, and other tools) to determine where to focus city resources, implementing a snow operations dashboard for internal monitoring and public information during snow events, creating response-time studies for new fire station locations, and creating data related to city-managed natural resources such as our 2,800-acre Lake Decatur.
In Decatur, GIS is used as a decision-making tool and its use is growing every day. Our work has recently been featured in an Esri Case Study (https://www.esri.com/enus/lg/industry/government/stories/city-of-decatur-case-study), by the American Planning Association (https://www.planning.org/blog/9258373/gis-prioritizes-federal-funding-to-revitalizeneighborhoods/), and in local media, too (https://youtu.be/YxuNHjMAzyg ). Come be a part of a team where GIS makes a difference. Apply today!
This position performs entry-level professional Geographic Information System (GIS) management, manipulation and maintenance functions. Successful performance helps ensure the accuracy and functionality of GIS base maps, reports, and essential geographic information. The work consists of varied duties that include data creation and management, data analysis, mapping services, and field work with a GPS unit. The incumbent establishes and implements strategies to accomplish city goals through GIS initiatives. This position reports to and receives technical guidance and functional oversight from the City’s Chief Data Officer.
The City of Decatur is a drug-free workplace. This includes marijuana. Candidates will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen, physical and background check post offer.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
1. Maintains and enhances geospatial data on the City’s GIS maps and databases. This includes importing and visually depicting data from a variety of sources such as address lists, sewer system data, tabular data, verbal descriptions of data, etc.
2. Uses GPS while performing field data collection, processes the collected GPS data, and imports GPS data into the City’s GIS database. This position may oversee field data collection work.
3. Corrects and updates the City’s GIS database of both surface and underground utilities infrastructure as needed, using data provided by city engineers and technical field staff, including “as-built” data from construction project plans.
4. Creates and maintains consistent and accurate spatial data.
5. Works closely with city engineers and technical staff to create GIS-base maps that ensure geodetic and cartographic accuracy.
6. Applies GIS techniques and analyses and is proficient in the use of current theories and practices.
7. Is responsible for data manipulation and quality control of final GIS deliverable products.
8. Keeps immediate supervisor informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems.
9. Assists with the integration and support of third-party software that uses geospatial data.
10. Performs related work and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
1. Bachelor’s degree in geography, GIS, or related field.
2. Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience or graduate-level courses/lab experience.
3. Strong working knowledge of the latest version of ArcGIS, as well as basic software programs.
4. Prior experience utilizing GIS software in the utility or infrastructure industry preferred.
5. Knowledge of AutoCAD and Remote Sensing preferred.
6. Excellent communication skills, structured planning and project management capabilities.
7. Proficiency in building geodatabases. Knowledge in creating and applying domains, subtypes and relationship classes for modeling while maintaining data integrity.
8. Ability to maintain attribute and spatial integrity, as well as the ability to build topologies and linear referencing.
9. Experience with GPS and other field-based geospatial collection tools. Knowledge of LIDAR data, Leica Geo Office (LGO) GPS and LGO Codelist construction is preferred.
10. Ability to assist/train city workers with GIS technology.
11. Knowledge of filing systems and office management techniques. Knowledge of digital document management software is preferred.
12. Ability to work independently, obtaining technical guidance from the Chief Data Officer and external sources when needed.
13. Proactive and innovative approach; demonstrated flexibility; ability to learn new skills and technologies and to apply proactively to the advantage of the City.
14. Ability to create and maintain metadata and ability to document work.
Residency inside the corporate limits of Macon County or within the corporate limits of any municipality extending into Macon County within 12 months is required
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
Contact Lori Gruen
Human Resources Generalist
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse