Organization: Colorado State University
Title: Environmental GIS Analyst - Fort Collins, Colorado
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Environmental GIS Analyst - Fort Collins, Colorado
Position Location - Fort Collins, CO
Work Location - Position qualifies for hybrid/in-office work
Research Professional Position - Yes
Posting Number - 202301611AP
Position Type - Admin Professional/ Research Professional
Classification Title - Prof/Indiv Contrib II
Work Hours/Week - 40
Proposed Annual Salary Range - $55,000-$60,000
Colorado State University is not just a workplace; it’s a thriving community that’s transforming lives and improving the human condition through world-class teaching, research, and service. With a robust benefits package, collaborative atmosphere, commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and focus on work-life balance, CSU is where you can thrive, grow, and make a lasting impact.
• For detailed benefit plan information for eligible employees, visit https://hr.colostate.edu/hr-community-and-supervisors/benefits/benefits-eligibility/ and https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-perks/.
• For the total value of CSU benefits in addition to wages, visit https://hr.colostate.edu/total-compensation-calculator/.
• For more information about why Fort Collins is consistently ranked in the top cities to live in, visit https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-community/.
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on - 10/16/2023
Description of Work Unit
Founded in 1870, Colorado State University is among the nation’s leading research universities and enrolls approximately 32,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Located an hour north of the Denver metro area, Fort Collins is a vibrant community of approximately 157,000 residents that offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a large city. Fort Collins is situated on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains with views of 14,000 foot peaks, and offers access to numerous cultural, recreational, and outdoor opportunities.
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at CSU. CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DOD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations. To learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
An Environmental Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML) to be assigned in Fort Collins, CO to provide support for the US Air Force Environmental GIS project, which provides comprehensive GIS support services and data maintenance for over 100 installations.
This position qualifies for hybrid/in-office that allows part-time telework work, though the incumbent is expected to be in-person on-campus at CSU in Fort Collins, Colorado, for part of each week;.
Required Job Qualifications
• BA/BS degree in natural resources management, environmental science, geography, geographic information systems (GIS), history, anthropology, or computer science.
• Three years of demonstrated work experience is required in environmental related GIS. Course work will not be included.
• The successful candidate also must have demonstrated training and experience using GIS software, database management software, global positioning system technology, and geospatial technical writing and documentation.
• Superior written and oral communication skills are required.
• Travel to selected Air Force installations may be required for data collection and development.
• Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date.
• The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by proposed start date; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Demonstrated working knowledge of Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment (SDSFIE) especially version 3.0 or higher.
• Experience using GPS for data collection.
• Managing spatial data in geodatabases or Microsoft Access databases.
• Knowledge and experience in U.S. Air Force GeoBase program and with U.S. Air Force environmental programs are beneficial.
• Related work experience with U.S. Air Force bases outside the continental U.S. is a plus.
• Knowledge and experience developing web applications including geo-portal data maintenance, ArcGIS Online and story maps is considered a plus.
• Knowledge and experience with automation processes such as ETL tools, python scripting, and/or SQL is highly desired.
• More than 3 years of related work experience is desirable.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category
• The Environmental GIS Analyst (TSC) will provide reach back support to both the ISS GIS Analysts and AFCEC support team leads, including trouble-shooting technical issues, learning new software/technology and developing best tools and techniques for GIS processes.
• As needed, will complete quarterly data maintenance of the SDSFIE compliant environmental geodatabases and GIS Support services for (approximately 3-6) USAF bases to cover for vacancies (or increased workload) in the ISS GIS Analyst position, including conducting periodic data review and maintaining communications with AF environmental program managers and GeoBase personnel.
• Assist with data development for newly added program areas, datasets or locations or as needed to provide source data for other CEMML GIS tasks and projects including data digitization and attribute population.
Percentage Of Time - 35
Job Duty Category
• Design cartographic products to support a variety of environmental projects and tasks, including map books, story maps, developing and maintaining web applications and data on the AF Geo-portal, and creating project map templates or other presentation materials.
Percentage Of Time - 35
Job Duty Category
• Conduct spatial analysis and spatial modeling in support of CEMML environmental projects.
• Develop efficient methods and technical processes to complete data management tasks, utilizing automation techniques where practical and evaluating data quality as required.
• Download and process data from USAF authoritative databases or other program data for distribution to off-site GIS Analysts in support of quarterly data maintenance activities.
• Collect and process data for large scale data calls and data deliveries.
• Possible travel to AF locations for field data collection using global positioning system technology (as needed).
Percentage Of Time - 25
Job Duty Category
• Prepare written documentation of technical processes, develop applicable project guidance and create training/support materials.
• Co-host possible on-line presentations and question/answer sessions to small groups or within the project team.
Percentage Of Time - 5
Special Instructions to Applicants Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than October 16, 2023, for full consideration at link. Mailed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birth dates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
1. Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in the announcement) uploaded in the ‘Cover Letter’ slot.
3. Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications) uploaded in the ‘Official Transcripts’ or ‘Unofficial Transcripts’ slot.
4. Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded) uploaded in the ‘Other’ slot.
5. References – please include within your application contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License
Search Contact Nathan Troop ([email protected])
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or pregnancy in its employment, programs, services and activities, and admissions, and, in certain circumstances, marriage to a co-worker. The University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity and equal access institution and affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Title IX Programs and Gender Equity, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-1715, [email protected].
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, [email protected].
The Coordinator for any other forms of misconduct prohibited by the University’s Policy on Discrimination and Harassment is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, Co. 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, [email protected].
Any person may report sex discrimination under Title IX to the Office of Civil Rights, Department of Education.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks for the finalist before a final offer. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/4655031
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse