Organization: Colorado State University
Title: Open Pool - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Open Pool - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
Position Location - Fort Collins, CO
Work Location - Position qualifies for hybrid/in-office work
Research Professional Position - Yes
Posting Number - 202301821AP
Position Type - Admin Professional/ Research Professional
Proposed Annual Salary Range
Employee Benefits Colorado State University is not just a workplace; it’s a thriving community that’s transforming lives and improving the human condition through world-class teaching, research, and service. With a robust benefits package, collaborative atmosphere, commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and focus on work-life balance, CSU is where you can thrive, grow, and make a lasting impact.
• For detailed benefit plan information for eligible employees, visit https://hr.colostate.edu/hr-community-and-supervisors/benefits/benefits-eligibility/ and https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-perks/.
• For the total value of CSU benefits in addition to wages, visit https://hr.colostate.edu/total-compensation-calculator/.
• For more information about why Fort Collins is consistently ranked in the top cities to live in, visit https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-community/.
Description of Work Unit
Founded in 1870, Colorado State University is among the nation’s leading research universities and enrolls approximately 32,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Located an hour north of the Denver metro area, Fort Collins is a vibrant community of approximately 157,000 residents that offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a large city. Fort Collins is situated on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains with views of 14,000 foot peaks, and offers access to numerous cultural, recreational, and outdoor opportunities.
CEMML is a research, education, and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at CSU. CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DoD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and other CSU departments to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, please visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
The Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML) is hiring GIS Specialists to join our Fort Collins, Colorado office. The GIS Specialists will be integral members of our interdisciplinary team of environmental and cultural resource specialists. Our purpose is to support federal land managers in ensuring that military activities are conducted in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
The GIS Specialists will expand our team’s current GIS capabilities by working with staff to manage geospatial products for a variety of natural and cultural resource projects. Responsibilities will include:
• Feature class development
• Completing metadata
• Managing data in ArcGIS Online
• Developing Survey123 and ArcGIS Field Maps data forms
• Post-processing field-data
• Geospatial analysis
• Coordinating with team members and project stakeholders
The GIS Specialist may also be expected to:
• Create and maintain ArcGIS Experience Builder apps
• Use ArcGIS Hub Premium to administer data
• Create automated workflows with Microsoft Power Automate
• Develop scripts for data management or analysis
• Develop Extract, Translate, and Load (ETL) tools to consolidate and standardize data
The opportunity to participate in fieldwork and other tasks may arise. Both independent and collaborative group work will be required.
Ideal employees are motivated self-starters with a strong work ethic and who are dedicated to producing exceptional deliverables. A background in cultural or natural resource management and demonstrated experience utilizing GIS to effectively manage field survey data is required. At least three years professional experience with ArcGIS 10.X, ArcPro, Survey123, Field Maps ArcGIS Online, and geodatabases required.
Experience working on military lands, knowledge of natural and cultural resource regulatory policy, and experience with Department of Defense GIS data models and standards (e.g. Air Force Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment [SDSFIE]; Federal Geographic Data Committee’s [FGDC] Content Standard for Digital Spatial Metadata [CSDGM]) are desired
The position will be located at Colorado State University’s main campus in Fort Collins, Colorado. Work will be primarily office-based; however, telework may be possible. This will be a permanent, full-time (40 hours/week) position, depending on continued funding.
Required Job Qualifications
• B.S./B.A. in Geography, Ecology, Anthropology/Archeology, Natural Resources Management, or a related field, PLUS three years of relevant professional experience
• Professional experience in ArcGIS 10.X, ArcPro; including cartography and spatial analyst
• Professional experience in ArcGIS Online, Field Maps and/or Survey123; including form design and field-data management
• Experience managing complex ArcGIS geodatabases; including feature class development, relationship classes, and completion of metadata
• Experience administering natural and cultural resource data
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to lift 25 pounds and traverse uneven, steep terrain
• Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date
• The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by the proposed start date; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position
Preferred Job Qualifications
• M.S. in Geography, Ecology, Anthropology/Archaeology, Natural Resources Management, or a related field
• Experience with Department of Defense GIS data models and standards (e.g. Air Force Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment [SDSFIE]; Federal Geographic Data Committee’s [FGDC] Content Standard for Digital Spatial Metadata [CSDGM])
• Experience with using Extract, Translate, and Load (ETL) tools to consolidate and standardize data
• Experience with R, or similar software environment
• Experience with ArcGIS Hub Premium, Experience Builder, and Microsoft Power Automate
• Experience with cultural and/or natural resource management on federal lands
• Working knowledge of cultural and/or natural resource-related regulatory policy
Diversity Statement Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply at: https://apptrkr.com/4695165. Mailed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birth dates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
1. Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in the announcement) uploaded in the ‘Cover Letter’ slot.
3. Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications) uploaded in the ‘Official Transcripts’ or ‘Unofficial Transcripts’ slot.
4. Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded) uploaded in the ‘Other’ slot.
5. References – please include within your application contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor.
6. When a position becomes available, application materials will be reviewed by the search committee. If your application is chosen to move forward, a search committee member will reach out to you to provide more information.
CSU is committed to full inclusion of qualified individuals. If you are needing assistance or accommodations with the search process, please reach out to the listed search contact.
References will not be contacted without prior notification to candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Christi Gabriel ([email protected])
EEO Statement Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or pregnancy in its employment, programs, services and activities, and admissions, and, in certain circumstances, marriage to a co-worker. The University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity and equal access institution and affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Title IX Programs and Gender Equity, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-1715, [email protected].
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, [email protected].
The Coordinator for any other forms of misconduct prohibited by the University’s Policy on Discrimination and Harassment is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, Co. 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, [email protected].
Any person may report sex discrimination under Title IX to the Office of Civil Rights, Department of Education.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks for the finalist before a final offer. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/4695165
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse