Organization: City of Walla Walla
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Walla Walla, WA USA
Opening Date: October 19, 2023
Salary Range: $25.541 - $32.591/hour
Closing Date: Open Until Filled; First Review Date: November 10, 2023.
The City of Walla Walla offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, and dental health insurance. City paid $50,000 Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance plus voluntary Life and Long-Term Disability. Washington State Public Employees Retirement Program (PERS) II/III. City match up to 3% of base salary for deferred compensation (457(b)). Generous vacation leave, sick leave, and eleven (11) paid holidays plus 32 hours floating holidays annually.
NATURE OF POSITION
Assist in maintaining the Geographic Information System (GIS) and support the GIS operations for the City; supply related GIS information to internal and external customers.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
High school diploma, GED or equivalent, and Associates degree in GIS technology. Two years increasingly responsible experience with GIS and GPS systems. Consideration may be given to any combination equivalent to training and/or job experience that provides the required knowledge and skills. Valid State driver's license.
Bachelor’s degree in GIS technology or related field. Experience with GIS technology and enterprise asset management systems integrated with GIS. Bilingual in Spanish.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
A completed City application and resume are required to apply. Applications are available on the Human Resources page of the City of Walla Walla website: https://wallawallawa.gov.
Applicants whose experience most closely meets the requirements of the position will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an oral panel interview, reference inquiries and may include a criminal background check. Completed application packages can be mailed to:
CITY OF WALLA WALLA-HR
15 N. Third Avenue
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Email to [email protected] or faxed to (509) 524-7935.
The City of Walla Walla will provide reasonable accommodation to disabled applicants if requested. Please notify the Human Resources office at least 5 days prior to the need.
To obtain a copy of the full job description and class specification for this position, please contact us at: [email protected] or 509.527.4475.
NOTE: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
THE CITY OF WALLA WALLA COMPLIES WITH TITLE VI, ADA, AND OTHER APPLICABLE FEDERAL CIVIL RIGHTS LAWS AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, RELIGION, VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, OR SEX IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
General direction and oversight are provided by the GIS Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Employees of the City of Walla Walla are expected to model and foster the City’s core values:
Service - Integrity - Collaboration - Equity - Leadership – Community
2. Assist in use of GIS systems and products among field and office personnel throughout City departments.
3. Research and prepare, digitize, and input information into the GIS systems.
4. Perform programming to assist in the development and support of GIS.
5. Utilize system computers, software, and programming skills to support and maintain the GIS, and network systems; respond to requests for computer support from other Divisions.
6. Create reports, maps and other products for agency departments using GIS system technology; provide information and support for GIS users.
7. Collect and maintain data using the GPS system. Ensure GPS system is properly maintained.
8. Respond to and assemble sewer, storm, water, planning services, and related GIS information requests from the public, contractors, and other agencies; assemble, evaluate, and interpret information to assure compliance to the customer requests.
9. Audit and maintain standards for various databases associated with GIS.
10. Ability to manage and accurately report on multiple projects.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Demonstrate punctual, regular, and reliable attendance which is essential for successful job performance.
2. Present a positive, professional image; maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; assure excellent customer service with internal and external customers.
3. Execute assignments, projects, and job responsibilities efficiently and within defined timeframes; work independently and effectively with little direction.
4. Demonstrate good judgment and employ critical thinking to execute duties, identify issues, seek solutions, and recommend improvements in support of departmental goals.
5. Provide assistance to staff and higher-level management; participate in resolving operational or interpersonal concerns; participate in training, meetings, and on committees as assigned.
6. Respect the value of diversity in the workplace and the community.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Geographic Information System concepts, programs, methodology, and implementation.
• Training and experience using Esri ArcGIS Pro desktop software.
• Training and experience using Esri Field Maps mobile software. Experience using Trimble GPS survey software with Esri Field Maps.
• Municipal code and standard plans for the City; laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities; City/County organization, operations, policies, procedures, and objectives.
• Principles and practices of civil engineering, field surveying, field-to-office data collection, computer-aided mapping, and computer-aided design.
• Read, review, and understand engineering plans and specifications; interpret plans and survey notes.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; develop written reports; maintain records.
• Maintain the GIS maps and database and records of GIS source documents.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Develop methodology, analyze user needs and produce special data products.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Esri ArcGIS Pro Desktop software, Esri Field Maps Mobile software.
Sitting and standing for extended periods of time; seeing, hearing, and speaking to exchange information; repetitive hand movements; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard; intermittently stand, walk, kneel down, stoop, bend at the waist, and lift up to 20 pounds; outdoor exposure to seasonal conditions and inclement weather.
Indoor and outdoor environment; driving a vehicle to conduct work; subject to seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions.
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse