Organization: Hofstra University
Title: Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Geography with expertise in GI Science/Geographic Information Systems
Location: Hempstead, NY
The Department of Global Studies and Geography at Hofstra University seeks a broadly trained candidate for the tenure-track, full-time position of Assistant Professor of Geography to teach and perform research in Geographic Information Science/Geographic Information Systems. We seek candidates who are resourceful, critical thinking-oriented teacher/researchers who can prepare our students for a wide variety of geographically inflected careers and produce meaningful geographical scholarship. Candidates must be effective communicators with a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching, be able to initiate sustained research and show initiative in seeking external funding for research. The standard teaching load at Hofstra is three courses per semester.
The candidate must be capable of teaching introductory digital mapping skills, intermediate GIS, and advanced GIS undergraduate courses. The candidate must also be able to teach remote sensing and web-based geotechnologies and ideally should be able to use GIS for social- or environmental-justice purposes. Preference will be given to candidates that can teach regional geography course(s) focused outside North America and who can develop and teach new courses in urban planning. Prior university teaching experience is strongly preferred.
• PhD in geography, urban planning or associated discipline at time of appointment.
• Ability to teach Introductory Digital Mapping/GIS, Intermediate GIS, and Advanced GIS courses.
• Ability to teach remote sensing and web-based geotechnologies.
• Successful candidates will have a commitment to promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion in an educational environment.
• Prior university teaching with positive teaching reviews.
• Ability to teach the use of GIS for social- or environmental-justice purposes.
• Ability to develop a program in urban planning.
• Ability to teach dedicated course(s) on geographic region(s) outside of North America.
• Experience collaborating with geographers and/or scholars in other disciplines.
• Ability to attract outside research funding.
Please upload the following with your application for consideration to https://hofstra.peopleadmin.com/postings/3459:
• Cover letter, including a brief summary of scholarly interests and accomplishments.
• Curriculum vitae.
• Teaching statement with appended evidence of effectiveness as an educator and approach to creating an inclusive learning environment.
• Candidates are encouraged to include a statement on how their work may contribute to Hofstra’s institutional commitment to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
• Email address and phone number of three professional references.
All applications received by March 15 will receive full consideration, but we will accept applications until the position is filled. Inquiries should be directed to [email protected] but applications should be submitted via Hofstra’s application portal
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse